Black Point Battery,
Black Point Battery was constructed in 1864 as support for fortifications at Fort Point and Alcatraz Island. While plans were made for an expansion and fortification of the site, they were never pursued. In 1911 when the San Francisco Fire Department built a pumping station below the battery’s bluff, part of the battery was demolished in support of the contruction, and the remainder was covered with soil and plantings. For 70 years the battery was lost, until it was excavated and restored in 1982 by the National Park Service. The restoration was made possible by donations and community support.
We Players events at Black Point Battery: